Let me apologize first for writing two consecutive posts about me and not Tate but I thought this might be worth reading.
Tate and Mommy go to MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) at our church every other Wednesday. It has been a blessing to Tate to be around other kids and a blessing to Mommy to have some interaction with other Moms going through the same life experiences.
Recently, Mommy wrote an article for the newsletter and thought she would share it in case someone might find it beneficial.
Here's the article:
As I brought 2009 to a close, I reflected on my life and how much it has changed. One of the major changes was the transition from a business professional to a Stay at Home Mom (SAHM). I have learned many valuable lessons from God through this transition but for the sake of space I will talk about two of them in particular: contentment and a slower pace of life. I want to just briefly share with you my struggle and how I believe God is overcoming them in my life.
I guess I envisioned a SAHM as a “country club Mom” because my reality was far from what was in my head. I think that goes for just being a parent in general. I never thought I would crave “me time” with such passion that I would grab my keys and purse, half the time not even looking in the mirror and rush out the door. I would come home refreshed from ‘me time’ but I still felt like I needed a passion, something that I could call my own.
To fill this void, I started exercising. This did help me but I still felt the proverbial “something’s missing”. I was not content because I was letting society’s view of a Mom have an impact on my view. One day, I was watching a sermon on TV by Joyce Meyer and she offered a challenge, ‘give God 30 minutes a day in his Word and after 365 days you will have a changed life’. I realize that’s a big commitment and truthfully I knew I couldn’t commit to that, but I knew the principle of being intentional with my time would prove fruitful. So, I began to read my bible during naps instead of checking my e-mail or Facebook, doing laundry, etc.
After a few weeks of this, I noticed God working in my life through the Holy Spirit. I began to pray, daily, for a new perspective on being home. I truly sought the kingdom first and found that God-given joy right where I was. I still struggle with contentment but at least I have a source of strength to get me through each day.
Part of becoming content really does require a slower pace of life. So the struggle with slowing my life down was happening in tandem with contentment. Being a SAHM meant to me that I would have a perfect “Leave it to Beaver” home. I thought gourmet meals should be a staple and my home should not have a trace of dirt. When I wasn’t cleaning or cooking I was setting playdates, running errands, etc. I noticed my son, becoming a burden to me rather than a treasure to nurture. God was showing me that I was running ragged and I was losing the focus of him in my life.
Luke 10:39-42 says, “And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”
The Martha in me sometimes pushes the Mary (disciple of Jesus) out. I have to remind myself to slow down, enjoy the little things and be present. In 2010, lets remember to spend time with Jesus and how important this step is in accomplishing all we have to do.
Welcome to my page!
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment